The Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook is here. Order Now
Stuffed Pepper Soup- this hearty soup tastes just like stuffed peppers. It is made with basic ingredients like ground beef, rice, and of course bell peppers! You are going to love this one pot meal.
Soup season is my favorite season. You can’t be a one pot meal!
If you are a fan of the traditional stuffed bell peppers, you are going to LOVE this soup. It has all of the same flavors, but is super easy to make! Instead of stuffing individual bell peppers, you put all of the ingredients in one pot and make a comforting soup!
This is a great soup for the end of summer when your garden is bursting with peppers or anytime during the chilly fall and winter months when you are craving a big bowl of soup!
Stuffed Pepper Soup Ingredients
If you’ve made stuffed peppers, the ingredients will look familiar! The soup has all of the classic flavors!
- Ground beef– you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Olive oil– for sautéing the onion and peppers!
- Onion– use a yellow or white onion!
- Bell peppers– I use green and red, but you can use yellow or orange if you want.
- Garlic– garlic is a must!
- Tomatoes– I use canned fire roasted tomatoes, they add the best flavor!
- Tomato sauce– to enhance the tomato flavor.
- Beef broth– a must for soup!
- Herbs– dried basil, oregano, and thyme! You should have all of these in your spice cabinet.
- Crushed red pepper flakes– for a little heat!
- Rice– you can use white or brown rice. Cook it before stirring it into the soup.
- Cheese– add a little shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese to your bowl of soup to get the full stuffed pepper experience. You can’t go wrong with cheese!
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
Let’s get this soup started!
- First, cook the ground beef in a large pot. Drain off the excess grease and transfer to a plate that has been lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Place the pot back on the stove and heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and peppers and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, herbs, and red pepper flakes. Add the cooked beef to the pot and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
- If you are going to enjoy the soup right away, stir in the cooked rice. If you plan on freezing the soup or eating leftovers for a few days, you can ladle the soup into bowls and add rice to each bowl. This will prevent the rice from getting mushy.
- Top each bowl with shredded cheese and enjoy warm!
What to Serve with Stuffed Pepper Soup
Stuffed pepper soup is a very satisfying and filling soup, so it can easily be a meal on its own, but if you want to add a few side dishes, here are a few ideas.
- Easy Green Salad
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Green Beans
- Easy Cornbread
- Easy Buttermilk Biscuits
- Garlic Bread
How to Store
Store cooled soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you waited to add the rice, store the rice in a separate container. If you are storing leftover soup with the rice already stirred in, the soup will thicken the longer it sits. If it soaks up all of the liquid, you can add more beef broth when reheating.
You can reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Can You Freeze Stuffed Pepper Soup?
If you are going to freeze the soup, I recommend leaving the rice out because the rice will get mushy after thawing and reheating.
To freeze, store the cooled soup, without the rice, in a freezer container for up to 3 months. Thaw, reheat, and stir in warm rice.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Black Bean Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Easy Minestrone Soup
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef (can use ground turkey or ground chicken)
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- Shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese, for serving
- Chopped Italian parsley, for garnish, optional
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Break the beef up with a wooden spoon while cooking. Cook the ground beef, until browned and no longer pink.
- Drain the excess grease off the beef and transfer to a plate that has been lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Place the pot back on the stove and heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and peppers and sauté until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, basil, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Add the cooked beef to the pot and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod