These multilayered Rhubarb Bars have a shortbread crust, a juicy, sweet, tart rhubarb filling, and a crumbly streusel topping! It’s the perfect summer treat for rhubarb lovers!!
Since the hubby is not a fan of rhubarb, though I’m not sure if he’s ever even tasted it, I had to share these Streusel Topped Rhubarb Bars with some friends with more adventurous palates. I knew I wouldn’t be the only fan, and these got rave reviews!
Streusel Topped Rhubarb Bars
I’m a fan of fruit bars, like these streusel-topped Raspberry Squares. They’re an easy way to showcase seasonal fruit without having to make a double-crusted pie or tart. And as much as I love my Rhubarb Pie, this rhubarb bars recipe just might trump my pie recipe! This rhubarb recipe is a delicious way to showcase a seasonal vegetable we bake up like a fruit!
How to Make a Rhubarb Bars Recipe
- First, prep your pan. Lining with non-stick foil helps make cleanup a breeze, plus offers a built-in sling to remove the bars to a cutting board to slice.
- Alternatively, you can simply grease the pan.
- Make the crust using cold butter, press onto the bottom of the pan, and bake.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling. Pour over the baked crust, then top with the cinnamon streusel. Squeeze bits of the streusel together with your fingers to make a few larger crumbs.
- Bake as directed, and watch for the filling to bubble indicating it’s done.
Rhubarb Bars won’t freeze especially well since the filling is moist. As they defrost, the streusel topping will absorb some of the moisture, so the quality will definitely suffer after freezing. That said, if you love these so much and some softening of the crumble doesn’t bother you, go for it!
They can be kept in a sealed container at room temperature for the first day. Since they will soften as they sit, it’s best to move them to the refrigerator after that. They’ll keep well in the fridge up to 3 days.
If you’re growing your own rhubarb, wait until the second season to harvest. When the stalks are 12-18 inches tall, you can grab a stalk at the base and remove with a gentle twist.
The best time to harvest is spring to early summer. Look for firm stalks with shiny skin, and without blemishes.
More Bar Cookies You’ll Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles
- Raspberry Crumb Bars
- Blueberry Streusel Bars
- Raspberry Filled White Chocolate Bars
- The Best Lemon Bars
- S’mores Fudge Bars
- Ganache Topped Caramel Bars
- More of the Best Bar Cookie Recipes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
Preheat oven to 350°.
To make the crust, combine whisk together the flour and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or in a food processor until crumbly. Press into an 8x8 or 9x9-inch square pan lined with nonstick foil. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until starting to brown very slightly. Remove to a cooling rack.
For the filling, combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a large bowl. And the eggs and mix until well combined. Mix in the rhubarb, and spread over the crust. Set aside while making the topping.
To make the topping combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly. I like to use my fingers to squeeze the topping into bigger crumbles. Evenly sprinkle over the filling.
Bake for45-50 minutes for a 9 x 9-inch pan or 55-60 minutes for an 8 x 8-inch pan. Watch for some bubbling of the filling to indicate the bars are done. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Adapted from Taste of Home.
Using an 8 x 8-inch pan will make thicker bars like mine, but a 9 x 9-inch pan works perfectly, too! Just bake for slightly less time.
Store in a sealed container at room temperature up to 1 day, then in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Silcone Spatulas
- Smithcraft Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set 18/8(304) Steel Material Heavy Duty Measuring Cups Set of 8 Pack for Baking and Kitchen gadget
- Pastry Blender
- OXO Offset Spatula
- Nonstick Foil
- USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 8 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel