Home » Curried Pumpkin and Coconut Meatballs
These pumpkin meatballs are simmered in a deliciously creamy curry-coconut sauce. Featuring layer upon layer of delicious flavors, these meatballs will absolutely WOW your taste buds!
If you like meatballs and enjoy Thai-inspired curry dishes, these pumpkin meatballs are a must-try! Featuring a delicious medley of flavors – beef, pumpkin, curry, raisins, mango chutney and coconut – these meatballs are simmered in a luscious sauce that is sure to win you over.
The freshly grated pumpkin not only adds flavor and nutrition, it also makes the meatballs moist and tender. Coupled with plump raisins, mango chutney and Indian spices, these pumpkin meatballs are reminiscent of one of my favorite South African dishes, Bobotie. The flavors are a match made in heaven. Then to make these meatballs even more delicious we simmer them in a curried coconut sauce. Serve them with some steamed rice and you have one seriously soul-satisfying meal.
For a time-saver, these meatballs can be prepared a day in advance or even frozen. Then simple fry them up and make the sauce when you’re ready to serve them. You can also make the entire dish up to a day in advance and gently reheat it. In fact, the flavor is even better the next day!
To really take these meatballs over the top we recommend making your own curry powder and mango chutney – and we’ve got you covered or both recipes!
Homemade Curry Powder
Our readers rave about our mango chutney – try it to find out why!
Homemade Mango Chutney
Positively packed with flavor, your family is sure to love these Curried Pumpkin & Coconut Meatballs!
Let’s get started!
Combine the finely grated pumpkin and the ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, raisins, garlic, salt and pepper.
Use a food processor or your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
Form the mixture into 1-inch or larger meatballs.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the meatballs on all sides.
Transfer the meatballs to a plate and set aside.
Add the butter to the skillet and fry the onions until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown, 5-7 minutes. Add the curry powder and fry for another minute.
Add the flour and fry for one minute, stirring regularly.
Whisk in the chicken stock, bring it to a simmer, whisking constantly until thickened.
Whisk in the coconut milk.
Let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes, whisking continually. Stir in the mango chutney and season with salt and pepper.
Return the meatballs to the skillet, return to a simmer over medium-low, cover and simmer the meatballs for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in the cilantro.
Serve with steamed jasmine or basmati rice sprinkled with some extra chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish.
For more delicious pumpkin dishes try our:
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- Whole Grain Pumpkin Waffles
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Roasted Pumpkin Hummus
- Coconut Chicken Pumpkin Curry
- Domoda (Gambian Peanut Stew)
- Pumpkin, Kale and Sausage Lasagna
Curried Pumpkin and Coconut MeatballsKimberly Killebrew
- 1 pound ground beef , or 1/2 pound ground beef, 1/2 pound ground pork; or 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup very finely shredded fresh pumpkin or sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (click link for our homemade curry powder!)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney (click link for our homemade mango chutney!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus extra for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and mix with fingers. Form into 1-inch balls.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and fry until browned on all sides. Transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- Fry the onions with the butter in the same skillet until softened, 5 minutes, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the curry powder and flour and cook for another minute. Whisk in the chicken broth, bring it to a simmer, whisking constantly until thickened. Whisk in the coconut milk. Return to a simmer. Add the mango chutney, salt and pepper.
- Return the meatballs to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with steamed jasmine or Basmati rice and garnished with some chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.
First published on The Daring Gourmet Oct 25, 2015