With nearly a score of guys coming for a cookout, this Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip AKA Crack Dip was the perfect way to stave off their hunger. Served with buttery crackers, it’s a killer dip.
A twist on what’s also called Million Dollar Dip, this party appetizer was a breeze to throw together. With those sorts of recipe names, bacon and Cheddar cheese, it’s no wonder it was a huge hit.
Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip
Bill had a few high school friends in town over the weekend for a race at the Speedway. With a dinner planned with them planned for Saturday, the guest list suddenly expanded to his friends, plus a number of the race car drivers and their crew. 4 guests suddenly became 20! Easy recipes was the theme of the menu. This simple bacon cheddar cheese dip was the perfect way to kick off the festivities!
How to Make Crack Dip
Only the bacon needed to be cooked, otherwise this bacon cheddar dip recipe just required dumping and mixing. This dip is ideal for summer gatherings, game day and tailgates. Plus, when a dip is also known as Crack Dip or Million Dollar Dip, you know it has to be good!
Often made with just mayonnaise, I like the combo of cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise much better. This easy cold dip recipe will get rave reviews!
- Let your cream cheese sit out at room temperature for an hour or so before mixing. It will be much easier to blend when not fresh out of the refrigerator.
- Use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise to save your arm muscles! PRO-Tip: If the mixture seems too thick, you can add some cream or milk to thin.
- I found a coarser packaged shredded Cheddar cheese (Sargento Reserve Series) for this dip that may not be available everywhere, but any shredded cheese will do. Locally, it’s found at Meijer.
- Other shredded cheeses would also work wonderfully like Monterey Jack, Colby, Cojack or even Pepper Jack for a little more heat.
- PRO-Tip: Cook and chop your own bacon. Bacon bits will not provide the same results as real bacon. Drain the cooked bacon on paper towels to get rid of excess grease.
- My family doesn’t like nuts, but the slivered almonds gave a nice crunch. Feel free to omit them.
More Dip Recipes You’ll Love:
Homemade Dips are terrific for all your entertaining needs whether a casual gathering of friends or a fancy dinner party. Most can be made ahead, like this crack dip, streamlining your menu preparation.
We love this homemade version of Sour Cream Spinach Dip. so much better than using a packet to season. Baked Parmesan Crab Dip, Easy Queso Dip, Smoked Salmon Dip, Dill Pickle Dip, and Smoky Black Bean Dip are all fabulous starters, too.
Add to Your Shopping List:
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Hot sauce
- Scallions (green onions)
- Bacon, about 8 ounces
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (coarse instead of fine shred)
- Slivered Almonds
Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip
A dip filled with bacon and cheddar that’s absolutely addicting!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise, I use Hellmann’s
10 dashes hot sauce
3 scallions, white and some of the green part, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped cooked bacon
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, a coarser grated cheese preferred
1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth. Add hot sauce and mix.
Fold in the remaining ingredients until well dispersed. Add a little cream or milk if it seems too thick.
Chill for 2 hours before serving with your favorite crackers.